Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Thing 20 Pathfinders, Student & Professional Portfolios

I started this one with reading Joyce's list of what I read to be 20 things she wished librarians would learn and I instantly panicked!!!  Luckily I reread the title and it was UNLEARN!  I can breathe again!
I chose to look into creating an electronic portfolio.  I saw it years ago for high school students and I thought what a great way to record their work, thoughts, interests etc... beyond what a standardized test, facebook, twitter and instagram can show!   Keeping an e portfolio throughout high school will hopefully leave them prepared for marketing themselves for future endeavors...college, careers etc... and the creation of these e portfolios are not just for art students!  I am hoping to approach my administrator about creating a class or having the creation of an eportfolio as mandatory for all high school students.
 An article that got me started:  http://www.edutopia.org/blog/e-portfolios-in-the-classroom-mary-beth-hertz
I spent a lot of my time looking at different platforms to create e portfolios - google, dropbox, evernote, foliospaces and pathbrite.  I started one on weebly but I am struggling.  It seems a bit too basic.  I am still working on the resume and other content I am going to share but I have to pick a better platform.  This is going to be a continuous project this summer...I am anxious to have a professional place to share who I am and what I am doing outside of the 4 walls of the library.  We all know the importance of the librarian in schools and the effect we can have on student achievement.  But I feel we are constantly having to sell ourselves...showing everyone just what we can do.  Hopefully my eportfolio will help do some of that work for me...if I do it well!  Instead of preaching to the choir...maybe I can reach more ears!!


Some other articles:
http://www.emergingedtech.com/2013/03/are-eportfolios-still-relevant-for-todays-students/

https://sites.google.com/a/brvgs.k12.va.us/senior-projects-2012-2013/mchs



No comments:

Post a Comment